Power of Peace Comes to Bishop

Charles Simmons, Staff Writer

On September 28, 2016 students departed Bishop Hall to participate in the Power of Peace Experiential. While on this trip students met Kit Cummings for the first time. This initial meeting began the process of bringing the Power of Peace Project back to Bishop Hall for other students.

Kit, the creator of the Power of Peace Project, visited Bishop Hall for the first time on November 3, 2016. Not only did he meet with BHCS students, but also with students from the Renaissance Center. He spoke to the group about his past and how the Power of Peace Project changed his life. He encouraged the students to take part in the Forty Days of Peace, a commitment, peace pledge, signed by the individual to make it their goal to bring peace for forty days of their lives.

This project is expected to change the lives of the students who complete it. On December 8, 2016, almost 100 students took part in an all day event with Kit, designed to kick-start the forty days of peace program. The students involved in the program will participate in six-week program that will meet every Thursday.

On January 9, the students began meeting with Mr. Salveter, Mrs. Thompson, Mr. Miranda, and Mr. Ward. took part in their first meeting. During these meetings the students break into groups and speak about the plans they have for the project.

Each day the students participating in the program complete a daily task out of the book Forty Days of Peace, written by Kit Cummings. Mr. Salveter also sponsors a separate PeaceJam/Power of Peace group on Fridays with other students. On March 23, Kit will return to Bishop Hall for a graduation ceremony for the students who have completed the forty days of peace program.